Cacao creates a sense of euphoria, and with this low carb sugar free version you can have all the dopamine release and production of phenylethylamine (PEA or otherwise known as the love chemical) you desire without the blood sugar spikes and crashes. Cacao is also a prebiotic for our microbiome, feeding the good bugs and promoting good gut health. Cacao is rich in magnesium and antioxidants, both of which support brain health and function, stress reducing and health promoting.
Wild orange essential oil is used to uplift and reduce feelings of anxiety. The combination of this with chocolate is sure to lift the mood and bring feelings of positivity, love and lightness. A perfect treat to show some self love, which we all so deserve.
For the base
2.5 cups shredded coconut
1 tsp cinnamon
Pinch of sea salt
4 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp liquid vanilla stevia
For the filling
6 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 Tbsp cacao butter, melted
3 Tbsp cacao powder
6 full squirts of vanilla stevia (more or less depending on sweetness desired)
Optional add ins – 10 drops of pure orange essential oil (I use Doterra), or fresh raspberries (when in season) to add on top, with extra coconut & cacao powder dusting
How to Make
1. For the base, blend all ingredients together into a food processor
2. Line the base of a pie tin with baking paper
3. Press mixture into the pan and up the sides to create the tart base, about 1cm high. Press down firm to make an even base
4. Bake in the oven at about 150 degrees, until golden
5. Remove to cool
1. For the filling, crack 3 eggs into a pot, add in coconut oil, cacao butter, stevia, essential oil and cacao
2. Combine with a whisk or fork, it will be clumpy
3. Place the pot onto a heated stove top on the lowest heat possible (cannot stress this enough) you only want to gently warm and mix together until its silky and combined, too much heat will start to cook the eggs too much and create a lumpy curdled milk appearance
4. Once mixed through, remove from heat and pour mixture into the pre-cooked base evenly spread
5. Garnish with orange rind, or grilled orange slices and extra coconut, or with fresh raspberries – whatever toppings/flavour combo you wish!
6. Set in the fridge for a minimum 2 hours or until its set
7. Serve to loved ones, eat together mindfully and enjoy!